Friday 18 December 2009

Social Group Evaluation.

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

I based my magazine around alternative rock followers, around the era of the 1980's following bands such as The Smith's and The Cure. But adding a more modern day style allowed me to attract a younger audience who are also interested in older music. By photographing a middle aged man for my front cover, and naming bands from different era's this allows for a wider target audience, as there is something for everyone. Not everyone may like the lead subject, but due to the different bands and solo artists listed I'm sure there is something for everyone. Inside, on the contents page, I photographed a younger female around the age of 18. This automatically widens my target audience, as she is seen more as a sex symbol (with red lips, pale skin and dark hair) more so than a talented musician like (Towler Flannagan) my main subject. Laura Mulvey's male gaze applies to my media product, there is both a patriarchal view on Flannagan; who is seen as a lead man and a more voyeuristic view on Lila who is seen as somewhat of a fetishistic. Due to my main subject now singing country music, I aimed to dress him as a country singer in more laid back attire rather than hard core rock and role clothing.


The Smiths are a successful band from the 80's. They are a stereotype of the music that I am trying to portray throughout my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment