Tuesday 15 December 2009

Double Page Spread

This is the final design for my double page spread. I chose a style which followed a similar design as my front cover and contents page, using the same colour scheme of white, red and black also using the same serif font 'century schoolbook' - in-keeping with the rest of my magazine. As well as the language I used in the article, which fitted with the chosen subject's image, I opted for a more laid back approach with regards to my double page spread image. The fact I chose to place the subject sitting on a blue couch strumming to an old guitar, reflecting the rocker's personality. Another point I was trying to make was that he had been out of the public eye for many years now, and is therefore trying to regain his popularity and place himself back in the public eye. I fitted it across two A4 size sheets (A3), then applied a translucent text box over the top in which to place my article. Instead of just centering my main image I wanted to fit my text around it, therefore I applied the rule of thirds, by splitting the image into nine equal parts by three equally-spaced horizontal lines. Having already chose the translucent text box, the remainder of the image was not as important as the subject, yet I wanted this to be seen to give the picture more depth. I chose the black font and red lead, as I felt this is associated more with a masculine themed backdrop. The red is bright and vibrant, yet does not take the emphasis away from the subject - as he takes up 2 thirds of the A3 page. I used a drop capital 'I' at the beginning of the text, following the conventions of many music based magazines, this also gives the magazine a more professional feel.
I believe that the image I used can identify with any middle aged British man, as a portrayal of a working man, wearing plain clothes and not overly-edited so as to clearly show the reader that he is an 'average' person. Today in many music based magazines men are not seen as objects like woman, who rely mainly on their appearance, but rely mainly on their talents or personalities. This was the point I was trying to prove throughout my magazine, which enabled me to use what I had and to not change my main image to make it into something unrealistic and unbelievable. Therefore in creating this image I believe I will attract my target audience of alternative rock listeners, as they are more interested in the music more so than appearance. The target audience of my magazine can fall between any generation, as I believe anyone of any age can share an interest in the same genre of music, regardless of the era is was brought out. The image is representative of the text, in that it states he isn't just a has been, but that he is an average man who enjoys his music, and wants to be heard. The image links to the front cover, as the subject is not posing, but simply showing his appreciation of music.
I included a lead paragraph in a narrative style in order to create a setting for my article and establish some of the history behind my artist. There are some requirements of prior knowledge in that I have mentioned band members names and songs such as, "Towler Flannagan's acclaimed piece, 'Seven Degree Burn,'" and, "The Cure and The Smiths." I also, however, set the beginning paragraph in a narrative style so that the audience, if they perhaps had not previously heard of the artist, could understand some of his past exploits, creating a sense of intrigue. The next part of my article was an interview, in which I chose to use direct quotations from the artist. I had found from my previous research that when music magazines use this form of interview it created a more personal and intimate feeling, giving the reader a stronger affinity with the artist. I also contrasted my more formal style of writing in the first section of narrative, with a colloquial and friendly tone in the interview, such as, "I bet. So where are you touring?", and, "So you have a baby now?" At the end of my article I placed contact information in regards to the artist's tour dates, which followed the conventions displayed in the double page spread features I had analysed, along with page numbers at the bottom of the page.

2 comments:

  1. I love the transparent text box you've used for your main article faye it makes the article look really proffesional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture you have taken is really good it fits in excellently with the stereotype of your genre!

    ReplyDelete