Monday 14 December 2009

Contents Page


My final design for my contents page follows the same colour scheme of red, white and black like my front cover. These are an extremely popular choice of colour for music magazines, both Q and NME regularly follow the same colour scheme. I applied these colours in order to create the same professional appearance.
I placed the masthead from my front cover on the heading of the contents page following the conventions from magazines such as Q, Mojo and NME. This establishes my magazines house style, and will distinguish 'Zee' magazine from its competitors. I used layers to my advantage, placing the different elements in a well-constructed layout for my header, contents list and images.
I opted for the same serif font throughout my project to create a sense of cohesion and uniformity, applying a bold font for the cross heads. The banners also follow the same font style.
The images display distinctly different representations of the sexes; the first being of a young female, which I edited to accentuate her pale skin and pink lips, which is associated with the vigour of youth. The male image, however, is only minimally edited with the focus being on mainly his rugged manliness, rather than his attractiveness. This also shows his talent on the guitar, whereas the female is merely seen posing.
I organised my contents page under a cross heading titled 'features.' This created better continuance through the piece, meaning it was well ordered.
I also chose to place a banner text within a circle to attract the reader's attention and help create a fuller layout, with less white space.
Following the conventions of a typical music magazine's contents page I applied contents numbers under each image, for the purpose of letting the reader know which page the chosen article comes under with ease.
I added a banner at the bottom of my contents page to allow my magazine to have its own house style - applying the 'Zee' within 'Magazeene' and the type of genre 'Zee' magazine is influenced by; rock and indie.
I have listed a a numerous amount of different features to attract an audience who aren't only interested in the main article, this allows for a wider target audience.
Initially I was going to use the image to my left, i edited the colour of the couch using Photoshop - the magic wand tool as I believed this looked more like a studio couch more so than the blue one. But as the setting was supposed to be laid back, I believed the colour black to be a more intimidating colour, blue is much more country. I also edited the colour of the subject's T-shirt, from grey to green allowing a more professional approach to the 'photo shoot' - a change of clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment